Sunday, June 3, 2012

KublaCon 2012: 1 of 3

Hello and thanks for looking in. I hope everyone’s summer is off to a great start whether that’s by starting a new miniatures project, finishing a campaign, or just taking time to enjoy the weather. Well another KublaCon has come and gone kicking off my summer and I have to say it was a very good time with four of my good pals and many of the Con’s regulars I look forward to seeing every year. I would have loved to have had a better build up leading up to the Con through posts here, but it was not to be for a variety of reasons. Suffice it to say, I will still post the pictures of the game components and a full AAR in the near future. Until then please enjoy the following series of picture and their captions to get a flavor for how the con went for me.


We got the Con started on Friday with a new board game called Edo. This game owes its creation to Kickstarter. Kickstarter is a crowd funding site where hundreds of people fund creative projects through small payments. Apparently Edo was quickly funded and went to press rapidly. I found the game challenging but easy to learn.


We moved on to Warlands and fought not only another scavenger band intent on killing all of us and looting our bodies and vehicles, but also mobs of the undead. Each team had 8 vehicles and a small amount of troops in which to dismount and secure provisions and fight zombies. This game was expertly designed and run by our friend Rene. It was a close game but our team won in the end and I received two vehicles for my efforts. Link

The main area of the game.

My team prepairs to enter the fray.

My battle wagon.
Zombies close in on some enemy troops left behind.


Two new cars to add to the collection.
 
The next game we played was a pirate game where six players had to take their five man teams into the jungle and recue several other pirates from cannibals. This game used a modified version of Legends of the High Seas as its rule set and was run by our friend Rich. It was a fast and bloody game as the teams soon turned on each other when they realized there was treasure to be had. My friend Don and I fought each other to the bitter end...that is his end as I killed his entire team. Another player fought and successfully defeated the cannibal king only to be killed off by two other players, our friend Rene stayed out of most of the mischief and just collected treasure taking the win by only a few points. It was a very fun and light hearted game.

The Jungle Terrain.
The cannibal king.
A pirate team moves out.
Don and I square off over loot and prisoners.

Finally, we capped off the first night of KublaCon with a another new board game called Risk: Legacy. Risk Legacy starts out a lot like regular Risk, but with every game the board changes, more powers are granted to each winning player and ultimately new types of units. We managed to play 4 games over the course of the weekend. I can't wait to get togeather again an play.

 
We turned in after a couple of games of Risk. More on Saturday coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment